Book said to be made from William Burke's skin
Dental artwork
Robert Knox - display in History of Surgery Museum
Surgeons' Hall - Playfair Building
Skull at Surgeons' Hall Pathology Museum
Surgeons' Hall - History of Surgery Museum
A trephined skull

Surgeons' Hall Museum

Surgeons' Hall Museum is currently closed to the public as part of a Heritage Lottery Funded Redevelopment Project. The Museum will reopen in September 2015.  

The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh was founded in 1505, with the Museum collections growing from 1699 after 'natural and artificial curiosities' were publically sought. In the 1800s, the Museum had expanded to include the remarkable collections of Sir Charles Bell and John Barclay. Initially established as a medical teaching resource, access for all is now a priority.

search our site


latest news

Upcoming Events

We're delighted to announce that The Centre of Population Health Science's Centenary of Public Health Lecture Series will be coming to Surgeons' Hall Museums this October. "The Health of the City of E… read more >>

Festival of Museums: A Scandal in Surgeons' Hall, in partnership with The University of Edinburgh

We are delighted to announce that tickets are now available for our Festival of Museums event that we are hosting in partnership with the University of Edinburgh Anatomy Museum. On Saturday the 16th o… read more >>

Surgeons' Hall Museum comes to Blackhall Library

Throughout April 2015, Surgeons' Hall Museum, will be working in partnership with Edinburgh University to bring its touring exhibition ‘Words and Deeds, Weapons and Wounding’ to Blackhall Library. The… read more >>

Anatomy Theatre Anatomy Theatre Upper Pathology Museum Upper Pathology Museum